What is Orthodontics?
Orthodontic dentistry is the dental specialty concerned with preventing, diagnosing, and treating misaligned or malpositioned jaws and teeth. Orthodontic treatments are available for patients of all ages, from adolescents who need braces to adults who want to address temporomandibular disorders or prevention for sleep apnea.
Do I Need Orthodontic Treatment?
Orthodontic treatment can address a wide range of dental conditions. If you suffer from any of the following, you could benefit from orthodontic procedures:
- Overcrowding – This occurs when there is too little space for the teeth to align normally in the mouth. Overcrowding can cause tooth decay and increase the likelihood of gum disease.
- Large gaps between teeth – This can sometimes occur because teeth are missing or because the jaw continues to grow abnormally.
- Crossbite – This common dental problem occurs when one or multiple upper teeth bite inside the lower teeth. As a consequence, uneven wear can lead to bone erosion and gum disease.
- Overbite – This problem occurs when the upper teeth project further than or completely cover the lower teeth. Eventually, jaw pain and TMJ may occur.
- Underbite – This is the inverse of the overbite; the lower teeth project further than or completely cover the upper teeth. Eventually, jaw pain and TMJ can occur.
Are You Looking for Orthodontic Treatment in Houston, Texas?
Beechnut Dental Care is here to give you the quality treatment you need to get the smile of your dreams. Get in touch with us today to learn more or schedule an appointment!